Pages

Wednesday 24 April 2019

Printmaking

I've recently gone back to printmaking. This time I have decided to learn about collagraph having previously worked mostly with screenprinting.

These early pieces are working out an idea to use the quote 'O time thou must untangle this not I, 'tis too hard a knot for me to untie' from Twelfth Night, that I had chosen to use for my piece for the Oxford Scribes annual exhibition.


initial sketchbook idea


scratching into the surface of a piece of mountboard and peeling off the surface in places


using parcel tape to create shiny areas that will print clear


drawing with wood glue


the second idea concentrated on the rope knot and using the surface of the mountboard and parcel tape for the chain


first proofs


I added some texture into the background with silver foil and
the lettering was printed last using a poly photogravure plate

























This was the first time I had made monotypes by working on a thin sheet of plastic and running them through the press! I'd always worked on a piece of glass and made do with rubbing the back of the paper with a roller before...

I experimented with different techniques, using the chickens for inspiration and working from photos.





I've now got my own small press!!



my first quick print using water-soluble inks and the lino from a commission




more collagraphs using lettering as inspiration:


this (above)  is a poly-photogravure print blind embossed - the original writing was done with a pipette from an old acrylic ink bottle


collagraph prints on rice paper then collaged and cut out with a bit of gold leaf too





cut and woven collagraph prints


lino print commission for an Oxford College


No comments:

Post a Comment